Friday, November 21, 2008

My take on the Single Speed thing.



So, after reading some of the comments on Jill's recent post I felt compelled to reply to the naysayers naysaying regarding single speed riding. There was a lot of negativity from a few anons which really bothered me. Isn't it all just about riding a bike and having a good time? Why do people have to judge based on riding style, discipline, or bike choice? So I posted a comment. Ill repost it here, as a reference to my position on single speeding.

And I quote (myself):
Wow, so much drama stirred up about one little comment about singlespeeds. Heres the straight dope.

Please don't judge, hate, playa hate, stereotype, or criticize others for their preferred means of enjoying life on a bike. In the end, its all about the passion. Its all about riding a bike and having fun doing so. Right?

Until you have ridden a real singlespeed (not just ridden for an hour without shifting), you don't know what the experience is like. Your whole mindset changes and brings a fresh new perspective to cycling.

I also said I would never ever ride a singlespeed, now 3 years later I have SS mtbs and fixed gear road bikes in addition to my geared bikes. I love all of them, and ride each as needed. They all let me enjoy the awesomeness of nature, the sity, and cycling in general in different ways. It keeps it fresh, keeps me from getting burnt out. (It also gets me to work...)

SS is great for building strength when you don't have time to hit the gym, or would rather be riding in the beautiful outdoors than stuck in a sweaty gym with all the jockstrap man-boys.

We ss'ers all have our different reasons. But we all have one thing in common too: a love and passion for biking, on or off road.

Ill say it again. Please don't judge, hate, playa hate, stereotype, or criticize others for their preferred means of enjoying life on a bike. In the end, its all about the passion.

Word out.

No comments: